Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Caramel Apples Outta Shape

I wanted to make a cute treat for halloween and I thought of caramel apples! But I don't like caramel as much so I made a healthy version and the original caramel version with a little twist. I just cut out the halloween shapes from apple slices, skip the caramel and cover the apples in lemon juice to keep it from oxidizing and put them on toothpicks. I got these cut outs from Sur La Table. The cat and the ghost cut outs were $1 and were the only big ones that would fit on an apple slice. The other small ones were part of a fall set and were about $4 bucks.




And for the original caramel apple v.2! I had a kit that my cousins gave to me a while back and finally decided it was time to make some. But this time I wanted to try it a bit differently. Instead of using the caramel apple whole, I decided to try cutting out shapes from slices of granny apples. I then sprinkled some sea salt on top for extra flavor. It was a bit of a fail because the caramel doesn't stick to the sliced and peeled apples because it is too moist for it to hold on. But I think if I could get around that it would be so perfect and cute! Anyone have ideas on how to make it happen?





2 comments:

jywheeler said...

oh my gosh this looks yummy

The Jaracz Family said...

Love this idea!!! Caramel apples are nice, but they're just too big! I'll have to try that. Thanks & God Bless. :)